Yes, we're doing it again! Saturday, May 14 as part of Neepex we are again providing flights for Kids. This year we'll have Grade 6 Kids from both Neepawa and Carberry who will have studied flight as part of their Science curriculum. It will be organized much like it was last year but should be a more relaxed event without air space closures looming! The more help the better, indicate your interest by email. Watch for updated information soon!
It was a great day! There were 8 pilots and 44 Kids, a total of 18 flights got everyone in the air. It was a bit on the windy side but right down Runway 04; everyone made sure they had sick sacs along. Regardless, everyone came back smiling and 'awesome' was a pretty common comment. The parents had way more than enough food for all the appetites, certificates were presented, and everyone went away with a good feeling.
- Pilots - Jerry Roehr, Bill Hilash, and Harry Wiebe from Winnipeg, Ken Carritt, Nelson Almey, and Earl Baron from the Neepawa and Carberry area, Bruce McEwing from Brandon/Rapid City, and Ken Pierce from Beulah.
- Colette Pierce for registering the pilots and doing all the paperwork, not an easy job with a strong wind blowing!
- Allen Henke, Rhonda Dickenson, and Scott Freeman from Hazel M. Kellington School for their organizational work and the caring evident in their enthusiastic, positive interactions with their Kids!
- The Kids - cooperative, patient, enthusiastic, appreciative!
- The parents - Kids learn so much from their parents when they are supported in community events like this.
- The Cadets who directed traffic, ensured the security of the flight line, and even did the flight briefings!
- The hang gliding Club for electrical power and Nelson Almey for the use of his hangar.
The EAA has found that Kids who participate in Young Eagles flights are 5 times more likely to become pilots that those who do not - we can assume that the same will be true for our COPA Kids. We need pilots, aircraft mechanics, designers, ..., all types of people who work in the aviation industry! Aviation is a very important part of our province's and country's economy!